Sun, 26 November 2006
This week's playlist:
• Tell Me What To Do by Boo Boo Davis, also from Drew, Mississippi (2006).
• Every Girl I Love by Tom Malafarina, from Bluesman Tom ... And Friends (2006), available from CD Baby. An alternate version of Every Girl I Love is available on Can't Get Used To It (2006) by the Smokehouse Ramblers, one of several groups of which Malafarina is a member. Can't Get Used To It is available from CD Baby. Visit TomMalafarina.com for more information.
• Everybody But You by Ralston Bowles, from Carwreck Conversations (2003), available from CD Baby and ElderlyInstruments.com. For more information, visit RalstonBowles.com and his MySpace page. Visit AmericanaRoots.com for an interesting article about Ralston.
• Sharing This Christmas With The Blues by Russell Alexander & The Hitman Blues Band, from Angel in the Shadow (2003), available from CD Baby and the iTMS. For more information about The Hitman Blues Band, visit HitmanBluesBand.com.
• Give Me A Second Chance For Christmas by Candy Butchers, from Let's Get Christmas (1999), available from MikeViola.com (Mike is the driving force behind Candy Butchers). Nine other recordings by Viola and/or Candy Butchers, some dating back to 1996, are available from Mike's online store. Mike has a MySpace page, of course.
Also mentioned: MOJO magazine and AmericanaRoots.com; my friend Eric's travels to Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, the spectacular ruins at Mesa Verde, Glen Canyon; Big Sur; and Eric's home: the Seychelles.
For more information about the blues: The Blues Foundation and the Delta Blues Museum; and be sure to download and listen to the DBM's top-notch (and free) podcast, the Uncensored History of the Blues.
(Music on Murphy's Saloon #50 courtesy of the artists and the Podsafe Music Network, where I obtained many of these tracks)