Wed, 13 May 2009
This week's playlist:
• One Thin Dime (4:29) by Mance Lipscombe, recorded during a live performance at the Ash Grove coffeehouse on May 6, 1966; made available to Murphy's Saloon by special arrangement with Andrew Goodrich of Wolfgang's Vault, which now has available many, many live performances that were recorded at the Ash Grove in the late '50s, '60s and early '70s.
• Night Train (4:58), Darkness (5:19) and Too Sweet for Me (4:54), all by Tab Benoit & Louisiana's LeRoux, and all from Night Train to Nashville (2008); available from the music page at Tab's site, ConcordMusicGroup.com and the iTMS. Visit TabBenoit.com for more information.
• It Feels So Right (1:58) by Nicole Hart, from Treasure (2009); available from the Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores, as well as online through J&R Music World, Amazon.com, and the Blues Leaf Records' page at CD Universe. The CD is available through TheNRGBand.com and at all their performances. Visit TheNRGBand.com for more information.
• Bitter Rain (4:30), Patron Saint of Pain (4:46) and Little Queen Bee (3:20), all by Roy Rogers and all from Split Decision (2009); available from this page at Roy's site, BlindPigRecords.com and the iTMS. Visit Roy-Rogers.com for more information.
• Everybody Counts (3:32) by Nerak Roth Patterson, from Brown Angel (2008); released on the Blues Leaf Records label. Visit Nerak's MySpace page for more information.
Excellent sources of information about the blues: The Blues Foundation and the Delta Blues Museum; be sure to download and listen to the DBM's top-notch (and free) podcast, the Uncensored History of the Blues; BluesRevue.com, the online home of Blues Revue magazine; BigCityBluesMag.com, the online home of Big City Blues magazine; BluesCritic.com.
Be sure to read Today's Chicago Blues by Karen Hanson, an excellent guide to all things blues in present-day Chicago.
For up-to-the-minute news about things to do in Chicago: TheLocalTourist.com.