Fri, 1 August 2008
This week's playlist:
• Checking On My Woman by Fenton Robinson, from Somebody Loan Me A Dime (1974); available from Alligator Records and the iTunes Music Store. Visit Fenton's page at Alligator.com and this page at the Cascade Blues Association site for more information.
• Running From My Baby's Gun, Whilst Previously Watching Butterflies From My Front Porch by Samuel James, from Songs Famed For Sorrow and Joy (2008); available from NorthernBlues Music and the iTMS. Visit Samuel's bio pages at NorthernBlues.com and PiedmontTalent.com, or his MySpace page, for more information.
• Have Mercy by Big Walter Horton, from Big Walter Horton With Carey Bell (1972); available from Alligator Records and the iTMS. Visit Walter's page at Alligator.com and this page at bluesharp.ca for more information.
• Voodoo Woman, 63 Year Old Mama and Jump For Joy, all by Koko Taylor. Voodoo Woman is from Deluxe Edition (2002); 63 Year Old Mama is from Force of Nature (1993); and Jump For Joy is from Jump For Joy (1990). All three albums are available from Alligator Records and the iTMS. Visit KokoTaylor.com or Koko's page at Alligator.com for more information.
• Take Five by Hound Dog Taylor and The Houserockers, from Deluxe Edition (1999); available from Alligator Records and the iTMS. Visit Hound Dog's page at Alligator.com and this page at keno.org for more information.
Mentioned during this show: Koko Taylor's online photo album.
Excellent online resources for more information about the blues: The Blues Foundation and the Delta Blues Museum; and be sure to download and listen to the DBM's top-notch (and free) podcast, the Uncensored History of the Blues; BluesRevue.com, the online home of Blues Revue magazine; Be sure to read Today's Chicago Blues by Karen Hanson, an excellent guide to all things blues in present-day Chicago.
(Music on Murphy's Saloon #132 courtesy of the artists, their labels, and the Podsafe Music Network, the PROMONET program of the Independent Online Distribution Alliance, Download.com or Garageband.com)