Mon, 10 March 2008
This week's playlist:
• If You Let A Man Kick You Once by Corey Harris & Henry Butler, from Vu-Du Menz (2000); available from Alligator Records and the iTunes Music Store. Visit this page for more information about Corey Harris, and this page for more information about Henry Butler.
• Sleepless Dream, Soul Of A Man and Kokomo Blues, all by David Jacobs-Strain, and all from Ocean Or A Teardrop (2004), available through the discography page at David's site, and from NorthernBlues.com and the iTMS. Visit DavidJacobs-Strain.com for more information. To see three wonderful performance videos of David recorded at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., go here.
• Second Hand Man by Carey Bell and Junior Wells, from Harp Attack! (1990), which also includes James Cotton and/or Billy Branch on some tracks. Harp Attack! is available from Alligator Records and the iTMS. Visit this page at the Alligator Records site for more information (be sure to scroll down).
• Brand New Woman by John Mooney, from If This Is Love...I'd Rather Have The Blues (2004), a compilation available from Blind Pig Records and the iTMS. Visit JohnMooneyLive.com and John's page at the Blind Pig Records site for more information.
• Just A Fool by Big Hammer. For more information, visit their Garageband page.
Excellent online resources for more information about the blues: The Blues Foundation and the Delta Blues Museum; and be sure to download and listen to the DBM's top-notch (and free) podcast, the Uncensored History of the Blues. Be sure to read Today's Chicago Blues by Karen Hanson, an excellent guide to all things blues in present-day Chicago.